Monday 23 May 2011

Blank wall dilema


Since moving to our flat two years ago, I have changed my mind several times on what to do with the wall in my living room. Which is slightly frustrating because I've not had this challenge elsewhere in the house:


picture shelf in games room, our "wall of love!" in bedroom, mirrors, photos and pigs in hall and old faithful - the photo wall in living room

The room is used as a chill-out room, it has a big comfy sofa and a big comfy armchair. No TV - just books, magazines, board games and an iPod dock. We also have the dining table in there, which is used mainly when entertaining guests. The wall in question is a large blank space and so the options are endless; unfortunately the budget isn't!

My first plan of action was a large oriental wood carving. I saw one of a buddha in Malaysia on holiday a few years ago, fell in love with it and regret not buying it ever since. It was similar to the one below, I think the colour and texture would go really well in the room as the colour scheme is neutral and calming. Although that idea dwindled after not being able to find one as lovely as the one that inspired me in the first place.

via www.artasiaonline.co.uk
Another idea I had was to use assorted size plywood boxes with the inside painted green to match the accent colour in the room as shelves but I thought this may look untidy.
via Ikea "Prant"
And along a similar vein, I spent a short time longing for this pigeon hole wall shelf unit from Graham and Green


 Other great things you can do to fill a space like this is though wall stickers
via wall and art decor
And plates are making a popular comeback:

via heartfireathome
Despite all these lovely ideas, for one reason or another none of them are for me and my wall.

However, through a recent eBay purchase I may have found a solution. I have recently become the owner of this beautiful gesso frame.


I don't care much for the picture but I contacted the seller before bidding to ensure that it can be easily removed. I haven't received it yet but I have a few ideas on ways to use it so watch this space...

...although, given my track record, I will probably change my mind again so all ideas are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment