Wednesday 6 July 2011

What is it with pineapples?

So this weekend I watched the Wimbledon men's tennis finals for the first time ever (despite living down the road from the stadium). I'm not a fan, but it seemed like a good match. What I was most taken by was the shiny trophy topped with a pineapple!


What is it with pineapples?



I have noticed this year, that there has been a surge of home accessories on the high street using the pineapple form.
Ornament from Dwell
Cushion from Dwell


Tealight holder at Habitat

Lamp at Graham and Green
Hooks from Graham and Green

Wallpaper by Meg Matthews at Liberty
So further reading has taught me that the pineapple is associated with hospitality and is commonly used in the Caribbean as a status symbol of welcome, hospitality and wealth.

So there you go. If you want a welcoming home, add a pineapple!


1 comment:

  1. Haha, I like this. I want that gold pineapple from dwell.
    It reminds me of Angry Birds Rio x

    ReplyDelete